An excerpt on the Frio River from Wikipedia
The cool and consistent flow of the Frio River has made it a popular summertime destination. The word frio is Spanish for cold, a clear reference to the spring-fed coolness of the river.
The portion of the Frio River that makes up Neal's Swimming Hole is located approximately 75 miles west of San Antonio, Texas in the friendly river-tourism town of Concan. Want Directions to Neal's Lodges?
For GPS: 20970 US Highway 127, Concan, TX 78838
The Frio River is...
|• 140 miles from Austin||• 80 miles from San Antonio|
|• 350 miles from Dallas||• 310 miles from Houston|
Neal's Swimming Hole, fed with natural spring waters, offers cool crisp Frio River fun even during drought years. AND, many Cabins are available right on the banks of Neal's Swimming Hole. You'll be certain to find the perfect spot along the Frio River with over 70 RV spots, cabins, condos and lodges to choose from.
Thirty one miles of clear water, high limestone bluffs and gigantic cypress trees join forces to present the Hill Country gem that is The Frio. The young and/or adventurous should be on the lookout for the occasional boulder, or rope swing. This river can be exciting, or relaxing. Take your pick.
You can access the river at...
- County Road crossing near Kent at 0.0 miles
- US Highway 83 bridge at 10.0 miles
- Bridge on FM 337 east of Leakey at 12.0 miles
- Bridge off FM 1120 southeast of Leakey at 14.0 miles
- FM 1120 crossing west of Rio Frio at 18.0 miles
- Bridge off FM 1050 at 20.0 miles
- Garner State Park on left at 21.5 miles
- Magers Crossing at 23.0 miles
- Third River Road Crossing on County Road 348 at 26.5 miles
- Second River Road Crossing at 28.5 miles
- Neal's Lodges Campground on right just above HWY 127 crossing southeast of Concan at 31.0 miles.
Did You Know:
- The river originates in Texas and is approximately 250 miles long, but only about 31 of them are usable for recreation.
- Frio County, Texas is named for the river.
- The Frio begins in Real County and runs through Uvalde, Medina, Frio, La Salle, and Live Oak counties.
- The water is shallow, and there are rapids.
- The Frio is the site of the sacrifice in the 1975 film Race With the Devil, starring Peter Fonda.
- George Strait grew up in Frio County and the Frio River is mentioned in his song All My Ex's Live in Texas.
|Address for GPS:||20970 US Highway 127
Concan, TX 78838